Early Years

SEND Childcare Report

SEND Childcare Report

In January 2018 Buckinghamshire Council Early Years Commissioning Team undertook a consultation with parents on the availability of childcare for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). The aim was to try understand the challenges faced by families in securing appropriate childcare to meet their child’s needs. The findings from this study have been included in the Childcare Sufficiency Assessment 2018 and the full report can be read below:

SEND Childcare Report

Brokerage Support

Children benefit from mixing with other children. Parents of disabled children sometimes struggle to find childcare; they may not feel comfortable leaving their child in someone else’s care, or that any-one is able to meet their child’s needs.

Brokerage support from Buckinghamshire Council Early Years Officer/s is offered to families who are unable to find suitable childcare themselves. Their child may have Special Educational Needs, a disability or complex medical needs, the parent/s may have additional needs themselves.

They may be:

  • In receipt of Disability Living Allowance, and eligible for a 2 Year Old funded place
  • Entitled to Funded Entitlement childcare for their 3 or 4 year old
  • Working parents looking for Out of School and Holiday Childcare
  • Looking for alternative childcare when a placement hasn’t worked out.

In discussion with the family, the Early Years Officer will try to find a childcare solution where the needs of the child and family can be met. As such you may be contacted to support a family.  Any barriers to the child accessing childcare provision are identified and in consultation with relevant professionals, appropriate support and if necessary training is put in place to enable a happy and safe placement. The Early Years Officer will follow up with you to check how the child is settling in and that the measures taken to support their inclusion into the setting have been successful.

Childcare could be with a Childminder, Early Years provider, Out of School or Holiday Club. Most children are able to have their needs met in a mainstream setting.

Parents can make a request for support via the Buckinghamshire Family Information Service.

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good