Tell us about what has gone well for you this year as an Early Adopter school? What are the positive aspects of the EYFS reforms?
- Spending more time with children, able to focus on spending time with the children rather than recording observations.
- Observations are more about what the children are accessing throughout the week – quick snapshot so parents are up to date.
- Curriculum co-ordinators in schools have become involved and become more knowledgeable of the EYFS.
- Separation of gross and fine motor has been helpful.
- Used an English scheme which dovetailed well with the EYFS and was easy to follow every day.
- Maths mastery and greater depth – have been given permission to stay within numbers to 10 and making sure children have a secure understanding. Not having exceeding as a profile judgement has helped to not push them further before ensuring they are rock solid.
- Likes the changes, hadn’t used a scheme before and found focus on 1-10 took the pressure away from moving them on which has helped with their understanding and linking number and patterns – the practical side is so much better for them. Concrete resources have been helpful along with other resources. Quite an eye opener – enjoyed it!
- Greater depth teaching of maths using a maths scheme – children have a good grasp. Teaching depth and application embeds learning.
- The change in maths to a mastery approach, security of numbers to 10, children have a better grasp of the foundations.