‘The highly stimulating environment and a wide variety of activities ensure that children are highly motivated and very eager to join in. They consistently show the characteristics of effective learning. The strong skills of all key persons ensure that all children are emotionally well prepared for the next stages in their learning’
The outstanding descriptor, Early Years Inspection Handbook, Ofsted (2018)
A high-quality EYFS learning environment involves both the people and the space in which children can develop. The environment must offer children opportunities to explore and learn with the support of sensitive, knowledgeable adults. The environment must reflect the different ways that children learn and provide children with open-ended opportunities to foster positive Characteristics of Effective Learning.
Children require space, indoors and outdoors, where they can be active or quiet and engage in sensory exploration with natural and manufactured resources. Resources should be freely available, well-organised, regularly refreshed and accessible to children to facilitate independent choices.
- A high-quality learning environment must offer children a flexible space which is appropriate for their age and stage of development.
- The provision must have depth and breadth, fulfilling the learning and development requirements of the EYFS.
- The environment must be adaptable to ensure each child receives a personal learning journey which is based on their own individual interests and experiences.
- The structure of the session must be designed to allow children to make choices and engage in continuous periods of uninterrupted play.
- Children will learn best through leading their own play and by taking part in play which is guided by adults; they build their confidence through exploration, thinking about problems and relating to others. Is your environment set up to promote and facilitate the Characteristics of Effective Learning?
You can find information about our bespoke training and support packages, in-house training opportunities and training courses on our training pages